Great spa. Unbeatable views. Just an hour’s drive away. Instant cred with your mother-in-law. Need more reasons to visit the Garden of the Gods Collection?
Something you should know about me: I take gift giving seriously. My husband knows that, come Christmas and birthdays, I’ll spend hours hunting for just the right present. I make lists. I put together personalized gift baskets. And Mother’s Day is no different—until this year.
This year, the search for the ideal gift for my mother-in-law, a photographer, ended before it began with the Garden of the Gods Collection. The 67-year-old Colorado Springs luxury resort and member club has a newly refurbished spa and an unobstructed view of the Garden of the Gods park. I couldn’t think of a better way to say thank you than to book her a stay there. Here’s why your mom (or wife) will love it too:
She’ll dig the views.
- Across the street and up a hill—that’s how far you are from the Garden of the Gods national natural landmark. The 56 guest rooms, spa and dining areas all face the amazing rock formations with floor-to-ceiling windows, so you can watch the sun glancing off them all day. The most impressive view is at sunrise, when you can watch them glow from your balcony or patio—every room has one.
She’ll get outside.
- After waking to amazing views, it will be hard to resist getting up close to the sandstone pinnacles. Start at the interactive exhibits at the visitor center.
- Run by physicians, clinicians, a health coaching team and award-winning esthetician Rebecca Johnston, the International Health & Wellness Center is a facility unlike any other in Colorado. Start with a treatment—the Cleopatra’s Milk & Honey Float, in which you float in a heated blanket while a mixture of honey, milk and essential oils moisturizes your skin, is a must. Then spend the rest of the afternoon detoxing in the salt inhalation room, herbal sauna and “experiential” shower (where you control multi-angled jets via a touchpad).
She’ll eat (very) well.
- Time for dinner? Get a little dressed up for a special meal in the opulent but cozy Grand View Dining Room, where the menu (ahi tuna poke, let mignon with lobster Oscar, flourless raspberry chocolate cake) tastes as good as it sounds. The night’s entertainment: rabbits scurrying by the reflection pond outside, and, if you’re lucky, a bobcat. Also available: Rocks Bar & Lounge, Kissing Camels Grille (overlooking the resort’s 27-hole golf course) and the Beach and Cable bakery.
And if you want to pamper a new mom …
- Starting at $699 a night, the Strong Like a Mother package, a two-night-minimum stay designed for new moms, includes balance and fitness coaching, a naturopathic health appointment and custom tincture, a one-hour mindful session and energy work, a one-hour nutritionist session and an 80-minute pre-and post-natal or sleep ritual massage.
GARDEN OF THE GODS COLLECTION
3320 Mesa Road, Colorado Springs
Correction: The Garden of the Gods Collection is 67 years old, not 37.